Did you know that 1 in 5 Americans is affected by mental health conditions? Most people feel shame and are scared to reach out for help so instead they stay silent. There needs to be more compassion and empathy when it comes to mental illness. We need to be raising awareness and speaking up about these important conditions. Most people don't understand the warning signs of mental illness and it is something that needs to be taught more than ever in our society.
- Being sad and withdrawn for a long period of time
- Attempting to harm oneself and making plans to
- Doing things that are not normal, behaving in a way that can cause harm to oneself
- Weight gain or loss. Not wanting to eat, throwing up to lose weight
- Mood swings that affect relationships
- Excessive use of alcohol and drugs
- Behavior changes such as being angry or not sleeping
- Not being able to concentrate at work or at school
- Having intense fears
Mental health is something that should not be taken lightly. If not taken seriously, it could end with someone taking their own life or someone else's. Speak up if you notice behavior changes in someone that you know or if you are struggling with some sort of mental illness. Talk with a doctor or family member to get the help that is needed.